Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Susie's Amazing Beef Stew

Michael, this is the one you liked so much.

2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
1 (750-ml bottle) red wine (Marsala works)
3 bay leaves
Approx. 1 cup all-purpose flour
Kosher salt
black pepper
olive oil
2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pound baby carrots, peeled
1/2 - 1 pound sliced white mushrooms
1-2 pounds small potatoes, halved or quartered
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 quart beef stock
1 large branch fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn

Preheat the oven to 300-350 degrees F. Dredge the beef in the flour and brown in small batches in olive oil (salt and pepper to taste) to get caramelization. I like to use a heavy Dutch oven for this.  When all beef is browned, set aside. Add 2 tablespoons more olive oil to pot and  . and add the onions, carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.  Add the beef back into the Dutch oven. Add stock, cooking wine, scraping up all the brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add rosemary, sun-dried tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper and bring to a simmer over medium heat on top of the stove. Cover the pot and place it in the oven to bake it for about 2 hours, until the meat and vegetables are all tender, stirring once during cooking. If the stew is boiling rather than simmering, lower the heat to 250 or 275 degrees F. Before serving, stir in the frozen corn, season to taste, and serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. Skip marinating.
    Brown breaded beef chunks with garlic powder and salt 5 min/ side to get coloring.
    Add second Tbsp of minced garlic in lieu of cloves when deglazing the pan.
    Use beef stock instead of chicken stock.
    Omit bay leaves.
    Omit peas.

    ReplyDelete