Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mexican Pasta Salad


  • 2  lbs. pasta (I like the rainbow spirals for this salad)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 large tomatoes, seeded, diced (4 cups)
  • 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen, thawed)
  • 2-3 cups canned black, kidney, or pinto beans, drained (I use a mixture)
  • 1 cup coarsely grated carrots
  • ½ medium red onion, chopped or 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
  • 1 medium bell pepper, any color, diced
  • 1 can sliced black olives
  • 1 cup sliced banana peppers
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese (you can use more, or use a combination of other kinds of cheese)
  • 2 seeded jalapeno or Serrano chilies or 1 cup pickled jalapeno slices, minced
  • 1 avocado, peeled seeded and diced (optional, these will go brown in the leftover salad)
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain, add olive oil and mix thoroughly to coat.  Let cool.  Add all other ingredients.  Toss. 

Dressing:

  • 1/3 to ½ cup each mayonnaise and sour cream
  • 2 – 4 tablespoons salsa
  • Juice and zest of one fresh lime
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
  • 1/4 packet of ranch dressing packet (optional)
  • Tabasco to taste
Dressing:  Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, salsa, and lime juice and zest in small bowl. Mix in chili powder and ground cumin. Add dressing to salad and mix to blend. Gently stir in avocado, season to taste with salt and pepper.  Pour over pasta salad mixture and mix well.   Add more olive oil if salad seems overly dry, especially the next day if you are serving leftover salad.  


This makes a very large salad, suitable for a potluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment