Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

lefse

We used to get this in the mail from my Grandma Iverson every Christmas.  Whenever we go to Epcot we stop by the bakery in the Norway pavilion and get some.  (But they don't put enough sugar on theirs, so I always have to unroll it to add a little more.)


5 large potatoes, peeled, boiled, drained, and mashed
½ cup sweet cream
1 tsp. salt
3 tbs. butter
flour (1/2 cup per each cup of potatoes)

Measure potatoes, make note of amount.  Add cream, butter, and salt.  Beat until light.  Cool.  Add ½ cup flour for each cup of potato.  Roll about ¼ - ½ cup portion of batter as thin as possible.  These need to be as thin as corn tortillas.  They will be fairly large.  You can roll them into a circle or a rectangle, depending on the size and shape of your griddle.  For ease of rolling, cover bread board with thin “flour sack” dish cloth, secure with pins, and flour well.  Flour rolling pin as well.  Bake on ungreased griddle on medium heat till light brown, turning to prevent scorching.  These cook quickly.  Place between layers of towel to cool.  After cooling, fold lefse into quarters.  Stack, store tightly wrapped in refrigerator.  To serve, open lefse, spread lightly with butter on one half, sprinkle with sugar, roll, and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment