Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Chili Verde

This is just a jumping-off point.  Chili Verde is different each time I make it.


3 cups cooked pinto beans (canned is fine; 2 cans drained)
2-3 lb. Pork roast
3-4 cups water
2 cloves garlic
1 tbs. Cumin
2 tbs. Chili powder
1 tbs. Salt
1 tsp. Oregano
1 small can green chilies, diced
1 small bottle green chili salsa
1 cup chopped onion
Juice and zest of one lime or lemon
Tomatoes (canned or fresh)
Bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange)
Banana peppers or pepperoncini or pepper rings to taste
If I have any cans of green enchilada sauce I want to use up, I'll add that too.

Put all ingredients in large slow-cooker and cook on low all day.  Take out pork roast, break up with fork and return to cooker.  Simmer a while longer if you like.  To serve, fill bowls with crushed chips, top with chili verde and garnish with any or all of the following:  shredded lettuce, chopped green onion, cheese, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, sour cream, guacamole, salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment