Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Clam Chowder or Cheese Soup

2 cup finely chopped onions
2 cup finely chopped celery
4 cups finely diced potatoes
1 tbs. Parsley
2 6 ½  oz. cans minced clams, reserve juice
1 cup butter 
1 cup flour
1 quart ½ and ½
1 ½ tsp. Salt
few grains pepper
½ tsp. Sugar

Drain clams over vegetables in a large soup pan.  Add enough water to barely cover veggies and simmer till barely tender; do NOT drain.  Melt butter, add flour and blend.  Add ½ and ½ and cook till thick, stirring constantly. Stir this mixture into the pan with the cooked veggies.  Add clams, salt and pepper, sugar.  This makes a LARGE pan of soup.  Do not substitute margarine for butter or milk for half and half.


To make Cheese soup, omit clams, add 1 large can chopped green chilis when you are simmering the vegetables, and as much grated cheddar cheese as you like (at least 1 1/2 lbs) after you stir the half and half mixture into the cooked veggies.  Serve with heated tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment