Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Unshrinking Sweaters

Okay, this isn't a real recipe, one that you would cook and eat, but it's handy to have around just the same.


If you've ever washed a batch of sweaters in the washer, thinking you'd lay them flat to dry and then had someone else come along and "help" you and put your load in the dryer for you, this is how you can fix them.  If it doesn't work for you, all you're out is a bottle of cheap hair conditioner.  If it DOES work, you've saved yourself all your nice sweaters.
________




Fill the laundry tub or bath with a few inches of warm water and add a generous amount of hair conditioner. (I had a whole load of my sweaters, so had a whole batch of them in the tub so I used a whole bottle of conditioner.)  Gently work the solution through the entire sweater, kneading the sweater as you go. Do not wring the sweater, but after draining the tub, press the sweater against the side of the tub to press out the excess water.  Pull it out of the water and place on a stack of bath towels (since the sweater will be soaking wet) and then gently stretch the sweater into the former shape.  Allow to dry in a cool room - DO NOT use any heat to dry the sweater. Repeat if needed. Then wash again as usual, being sure to rinse fully to remove the conditioner, and lay flat to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment