Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Lemon or Lime Cornmeal Cake

Baking spray (cooking spray with flour)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp each baking soda and salt
2 sticks butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
4 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Heat oven to 325.  Coat bundt pan with baking spray.  In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, lemon zest and juice with mixer till light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at a time till blended.  Add cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  With mixer on low, alternately beat in flour and buttermilk (or yogurt) until batter is smooth.  Scrape into prepared pan and bake 55 to 65 minutes.  Cool cake on wire rack 5 minutes and invert pan onto plate.

Meanwhile, make glaze with 1 cup of sugar and juice of one lemon just till combined.  (Sugar will not be dissolved.)  Brush glaze over hot cake until absorbed (sugar crystals will still be evident) and let cake cool completely.  Cover cake and let it rest several hours or overnight before serving.  Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days.  Cut into thin slices to serve.

(Lime juice and zest can be substituted for lemon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment