Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Lettuce Wraps


Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 pound ground chicken (ground turkey, beef, or pork can be used.)
1 medium/large sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, diced small
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Asian chili garlic sauce, or to taste (sriracha may be substituted) 
3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
1 teaspoon ground ginger or 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger, or to taste 
one 8-ounce can water chestnut, drained and diced small
2 to 3 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
butter lettuce leaves, for serving 
Pine nuts to garnish generously


Directions:

To a large skillet, add the oils, meat, and cook over medium-high heat until meat is cooked through; stir intermittently to crumble while cooking.

Add the onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, chili garlic sauce, stir to combine, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until onion is soft and translucent and most of the liquid has been absorbed; stir intermittently.

Add the garlic, ginger, stir to combine, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.

Add the water chestnuts, green onions, salt and pepper to taste, and cook for about 2 minutes, or until tender. Taste filling and make any necessary flavor adjustments, i.e. more soy sauce, hoisin, pepper, etc.

Spoon about 1/4 cup of the mixture into each lettuce leaf to serve. Garnish generously with pine nuts. Eat "taco style" using lettuce leaf as the shell. Enjoy! The filling will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment