Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Friday, August 11, 2017

Mexican breakfast casserole

Ingredients

  • 2 14.5-ounce cans whole mild green chiles or fresh green chiles roasted and skinned
  • 1 lb monterey jack or pepper jack cheese whole brick, cut into finger sized long strips
  • 1 lb cheddar colby cheese shredded 
  • 5 - 8 large eggs, depending on size of crowd to serve
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon powdered dry mustard 
  • Cooking Spray 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a large rectangular glass baking dish (9×13) with cooking spray.

2. Open and drain each can of chiles. Stuff each chili with finger sized pieces of monetary jack cheese and arrange in the bottom of the baking dish.

3. Sprinkle 1 1⁄2 cups of shredded cheddar colby jack over chili’s.

4. In a separate medium sized bowl combine eggs, flour, milk, salt and dry powdered mustard and whisk until most of the clumps are gone (some may remain).
5. Pour egg mixture over chiles.
6. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Add remaining cheese to the top of the casserole and return to 350 degree oven for an additional 5 minutes or until firm.
7. Remove and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Recipe Notes
You can order Hatch Green Chiles and other varieties from ChileMonster.com. Canned chiles will give you anywhere from 8-12.  If you can't find whole green chilies, you can use the chopped green chilies, four small cans. Drain them well and put them on a paper towel lined plate to draw out excess moisture. Instead of cutting jack cheese in fingers, cut into cubes and toss with chilis. Use this for bottom layer of casserole.


No comments:

Post a Comment