Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Quick Potato Lefse


2 cups water
2 cups instant potatoes (shake to settle)
3 tbs. shortening
3 tbs. butter
2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. sugar

Bring water to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in instant potatoes, shortening, butter, salt, and sugar.  Cool.  For each cup of this mixture, add ½ cup of flour and divide into 4 portions.  (Keep remainder of potato mixture refrigerated until ready to use.)  Roll each portion into dinner-plate size, as thin as possible, using additional flour if needed.  (to aid in rolling it thin, use a grooved rolling pin with a sock and a pastry board covered with a pastry cloth.  Use a lefse stick to turn.

When lefse is as thin as possible, flip one end of the lefse over the lefse stick and up to center.  Place lefse on hot lefse griddle and unroll.  When bubbles appear, turn and bake on other side. If needed, turn over once more and bake till brown spots appear.  Do not overbake or lefse will be dry.  Lefse is traditionally served spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar, then rolled up to eat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment