Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Bean Dip

This looks similar to the bean dip that I have always made with a few interesting additions.  I think I would still dice up some jalapenos and add those as well.  Maybe also some sliced black olives.  

·         1 or 2 cans refried beans
·         4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
·         1 cup sour cream
·         1/2 cup green onions (sliced)
·         1 tablespoon chili powder
·         1/2 teaspoon paprika
·         1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
·         2 teaspoons cumin
·         1/2 teaspoon oregano
·         1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
·         1/4 teaspoon onion powder
·         1 teaspoon salt
·         1 teaspoon pepper
·         2/3 cup salsa (extra liquid drained)
·         1 4 ounce can diced green chilies (drained)
·         1 cup cheese (grated)

Directions:
1. Mix everything, reserving some of the cheese, in a large bowl.
2. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with the reserved cheese.
3. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 45-60 minutes.

If you prefer, you can make your own refried beans with 2 tablespoons lard or bacon grease, garlic, cumin, and chili powder to taste, and 1 or 2 cans drained pinto or black beans.  Heat the lard in a pan.  Add the beans, garlic, chili powder and cumin and cook until warm. Mash the beans until you get them to the consistency that you want. (If the beans are too thick you can add water to thin them out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment