Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Krub (Klub) for Mona


I thought it was interesting to note that the meat was optional in all of the recipes I looked at.  I remember that Grandma and Mom put sausage in theirs, mixed in with the grated potato.  I seem to remember that the potatoes they used were partially boiled.  Mona, do you remember that?  I would sure take care of the problem of too much moisture, but I was just a kid so I could be remembering wrong.  If that's the case though, I'll bet you could use the frozen hash browns, thawed, instead of peeling and shredding your own.  (I'm always looking for shortcuts.)

  • 6 slices bacon
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cups potatoes, peeled and finely shredded (or ground).  Important:  Squeeze as much moisture out of the potatoes as you can.
  • 1 egg (helps hold the mixture together
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 2 tbs. grated onion
  • (Optional:  8 oz. pork sausage, ham cubes, or salt pork.  Sausage can be mixed throughout, other meat is to be used in center of dumpling. 

1.Place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat and fry to render out the fat. Remove bacon from the pan and crumble.  Reserve the grease.
2.In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder. Stir in potatoes, optional sausage (raw), ½ tsp of salt, pepper, egg, and onions to make a sticky dough. Knead for 10-15 minutes till the dough is no longer sticky. Use more flour if needed.
3.Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add 1 ½  teaspoons of salt. (Alternately you can cook these in pork stock or a mixture of equal parts beef and chicken stock with a little bit of bacon to kick up the “porky” flavor.  If you do this, omit the salt in the boiling liquid.) Squeeze the potato mixture into 6 or 7 dumplings, or your desired size, no bigger than a baseball. Some pictures showed them as sort of flattened balls, some showed them round. If you are usng meat other than sausage, push it into the center of the dumpling and seal it shut.  Drop carefully into the boiling water, stirring often to make sure they do not stick to the bottom or sides of the pan.  Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes depending on the size of your krub. (I remember this always seemed to take forever when we were kids.)  Remove to a platter with a slotted spoon.
4.Serve with bacon grease brushed over the top, and crumbled bacon. These may also be sliced and fried the next day which is more visually appealing since then they're browned and crisyp, Mom always served them fried piping hot with chunks of cold butter.  They freeze well.  

Tip: If your dumplings are too “wet” from boiling, put them on a baking sheet in the oven for about an hour covered in the bacon/sausage drippings, it will get rid of the excess water, then serve with butter and salt and pepper to taste. Also, these are good served with cream gravy made from any kind of meat drippings.

No comments:

Post a Comment