Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Press-in Butter Crust

This is a good crust for cheese cake or any other cream-type pie.  Makes a nice change from graham cracker crusts, plus uses ingredients you have on hand.

3/4 cup butter (No substitutions, 1 1/2 sticks) at room temperature, cut up
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 lg. egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour

In large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar, and salt until pale yellow and well blended.  Beat in egg, then vanilla, until well incorporated, scraping side of bowl occasionally.  Gradually add flour, beating just enough to incorporate flour and until dough forms large clumps. (do not over mix.) Divide dough in half and form each half into a 1 inch thick disk.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 1 day.  (Can be frozen at this point for up to 3 months.)

With hands and fingers, press dough disk into even layer against bottom and up side of 9 inch pie plate or tart pan with removable bottom.  Freeze 10 minutes or until firm.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  If crust puffs up, very gently push down bubbles with spoon witout cracking crust.  Cool completely on wire rack before filling.  Makes 2 nine-inch crusts.

No comments:

Post a Comment