Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Chicken Casserole

Sarah and I saw this on TV, but we think it's easier to use prepared chicken instead of cooking it yourself.  (We're all about making life easy when we can!)  Also, we decided that even though you can use raw potatoes (cook for about 15 minutes longer) it's so much easier to use the prepared cubed hash browns than slicing or cubing your own poatoes. 

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked chicken chunks (packaged fajita strips work well)
3 cups frozen diced potatoes
3 cups frozen vegetables
Sauce
Grated Cheese

Sauce:
2 cups sour cream
1 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
8 tbsp butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1-3 Tbs. seasonings of your choice (you can change these to change the flavor of your casserole.)
1 chicken bullion cube
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a saute pan and add the flour to create a roux. Whisk in the milk, cheddar cheese, spices, bullion cube, salt and pepper.
2. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool for about ten minutes.
3. Add the chicken and the sour cream to the cooled white sauce. Mix together and set aside.
4. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with vegetable spray. Cover bottom of the pan with the potatoes
5. Create a layer of vegetables on top of the potatoes.
6. Spread the chicken mixture over the vegetables. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.  Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
7. After 30 minutes, remove the foil, and continue cooking for 10 additional minutes to brown up the top.
8. Remove from the oven and allow the casserole to sit for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment