Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Mom’s wonderful bleu cheese dressing

 Bleu cheese dressing 

1 qt. mayonnaise (best foods or hellman's, which are the same brand.  If you use the cheap stuff, you won't be happy.)

1 qt. buttermilk

16 oz. cream cheese (full fat, not "lite")

2 cups cottage cheese (full fat not "lite")

2 cups sour cream (full fat, not "lite")

1 cup whipping cream

12 oz roquefort or bleu cheese, crumbled

Worcestershire sauce to taste (it'll be a tablespoon or two)

Half and half to thin to correct consistency


Mix all ingredients in large bowl.  (Stick blender works really well for this.)  I don't know that I have ever had to use the half and half, but that's what the original recipe called for.  The reason you need to use full fat products is so that the dressing doesn't spoil quickly.  If you use "light" products, the dressing won't keep as long.  


This recipe will make over 4 quarts,  and it's expensive to make, but if you know people who love bleu cheese dressing it makes a GREAT Christmas gift (and so much more appreciated than plates of sugary treats.)  But don't give away whole quarts, give away pints or half pint jars. You can easily half the recipe and it'll still make plenty.  Do NOT share the recipe, you know the story behind it.  I swear Grandma Miller will haunt you if you give the recipe to anyone who is not your daughter or son.  


For those who don’t know the story behind this...

Grandma Miller got it from a chef at a the Highland house for a wedding gift. He had asked her what she wanted as a wedding gift and she said she wanted his recipe for blue cheese. He said no, it was his signature recipe and he didn’t share it. They kept going back to the restaurant and he kept asking her what she wanted for a wedding gift, and she said if he wasn’t going to give her the blue cheese dressing recipe, she didn’t want anything from him at all.

And then they went in again, and he came stomping out to the table, slapped the paper with the recipe on it in front of her and told her she better not let anybody else have it.  

We have made it before to use for wings, and it’s incredible. I had a couple of friends in Colorado who would beg me to make it for them for Christmas. It’s also amazing to dunk a nice crusty chunk of bread into.


1 comment: