Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Monday, November 16, 2015

Oven carnitas

This has become a favorite for us because it is so easy. :) The ingredients are super simple. It comes out flavorful and tender, and the roast itself is so cheap. You only need to do about 10 minutes of prep work then let it cook all day, then 20 minutes of high heat at the end to get the skin crispy.

Ingredients:

1 pork shoulder roast (bone in, skin on. I usually use a half picnic roast about 4-5 lbs. you can use a whole roast if you have a lot of people to feed)
3 1/2 Tbs salt
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

Wash and thoroughly dry the roast. Mix all the spices and rub into all sides of roast. Put roast on a metal rack in a foil covered pan (for easy clean up) :) place roast in 250* oven for 8-10 hours. Remove the roast from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes to rest.

Preheat oven to 500*. Change the foil out under the roast to minimize smoking. Place roast back in oven for 5 minutes. The skin should become crispy. After 5 minutes, rotate roast and put back in to crisp the next side. Repeat until all 4 sides have had a high heat roast, then remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes.

Remove the skin and shred the meat, which will basically fall off of the bone. Chop the skin into small pieces and mix it into the shredded meat. Serve with salsa, avocado, cilantro, or whatever you like on a taco. We like to have it with corn tortillas or as lettuce wraps. It also makes fantastic nachos or topping for a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment