Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Butter-Seared Scallops

Just so I don't forget how I made these for Christmas dinner...

Scallops
Olive Oil
Butter
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Lemon juice

Rinse scallops, sprinkle pretty generously with montreal steak seasoning.  Heat large cast iron skillet on medium high heat and add 2 tbs. olive oil and 2 tbs butter.  That will give you the butter flavor while the olive oil will raise the smoke point of the butter so it won't burn.  Once the oil/butter is hot, place the scallops in the pan, you should hear a nice sizzle.  If you don't, the oil isn't hot enough.  Do not put too many scallops in the pan at once, they shouldn't touch or they'll steam instead of sear.  Cook for about a minute and then gently turn over and cook for another minute.  Each side should have a nice "crust" of caramelization and the inside of the scallop should still be very tender.  Remove from pan and put a drop or two of lemon juice on each scallop.  Serve immediately.

If you have to do these in two batches in order to not over-crowd the skillet, make sure scrape the bottom of the pan clean of any drippings so the next batch of scallops gets a clean place to cook.  Replenish the olive oil and butter if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment