Welcome to my cookbook! I have several recipes that folks have asked for, so I decided to post them here. Some are included in the ward cookbook, but many of them are things I found after that was published so I wanted a place to put them so my family had access to them. I'll add to this as I find things that I think need to be shared. If you have a recipe you'd like to add, let me know and I'll add you as a contributor.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Orange Rolls


I haven't tried these but I stumbled upon the recipe and it looks really good.  If I don't post it here I won't remember where I saw it, so here it is.

 

1/3 cup warm water
2 Tb yeast
3 eggs
1 tsp orange extract
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
5 1/2 – 7 cups flour, divided
1 cup butter, softened, divided
1 1/3 cup sugar, divided
zest of 2 oranges

Dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup very warm water. Add eggs and beat. Add orange extract, 1 cup warm water, salt, 1/3 cup sugar, oil, and 4 1/2 cups flour. Beat. Add 1/2 to 1 cup flour and knead for several minutes. Place dough in greased bowl and cover with greased plastic wrap. Put in a warm place and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.

Knead dough 5 or 6 times. Divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each half out into a narrow and long rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Spread with softened butter, remaining sugar, and orange zest. Roll up lengthwise and pinch to seal edge of dough. Cut rolls about 1 1/2 inches thick. Place in a greased pan fairly close together and cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 hour in warm place. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 17 minutes. Don’t overbake. Let cool slightly, then ice with orange cream cheese icing.

Orange Cream Cheese Icing

1/2 package of cream cheese (4 oz.), at room temperature
1 Tb butter, softened
1/2 package of powdered sugar (about 3 cups)
2 Tb orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 – 1 tsp orange extract, to taste

Beat all ingredients together. Add more orange juice, if necessary, for drizzle consistency. Use over orange rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment